Author Topic: Team Limit  (Read 825 times)

Offline ɹǝɯɐɹʞ

• Board Flamer
  • Bored Flamer
    • google.com
  • Clan: TRC
  • Rated: +52
Team Limit
« on: Jul. 29, '16, 05:45:47 PM »
Please consider some kind of team balance or limiting function. Today the server was mostly medic/fireman skins. If you join them, there is hardly anything to shoot at, if you fight them you are facing 7v1 at a time, etc. In my opinion, this is one of the reasins why XE lost popularity the last time.

I suggest a script that checks the number of players ingame each time a player tries to spawn, the number of players should be divided by the number of teams, and the result becomes is the limit for each team. The only team that should be unlimited should be the FFA skins.

Offline KrystianOO

• XE Head Admin
  • Xtremely Elite
  • Rated: +418
Re: Team Limit
« Reply #1 on: Jul. 29, '16, 05:52:42 PM »
that's not how it works - even if WK is seperated into different teams they will not shoot each other / make those mistakes very rarely which will not change anything.
it is up to the opposite side (us) to organize ourselves and where there are russians, there is the resistance - it is your / our fault that we do not take the same skin but rather fight among each other like idiots when there is one common enemy

sorry but no
  • Like    Unlike    Brain Donor

Offline honor

• Wannabe Spammer
  • -honor
  • Rated: +182
« Reply #2 on: Jul. 29, '16, 06:05:20 PM »
I agree with Krystianoo.Just make sure you're in the same skin with your fellow mates and create a team.Then you will definetely see it's benefits.
Credits to Kyoto

Offline Casper

• Elbow Licker
  • Vice Underdogs
  • Clan: VU
  • Rated: -54
« Reply #3 on: Jul. 29, '16, 06:08:54 PM »

Offline ɹǝɯɐɹʞ

• Board Flamer
  • Bored Flamer
    • google.com
« Reply #4 on: Jul. 29, '16, 07:03:03 PM »
it is up to the opposite side

This is not meant to be a server with two teams only, but making it that way would also solve the problem :)
I don't have a problem with the Russians being a highly organised team, only with more than half the server joining them at any given time. Who want's to play against those odds? OK, I do for a little while, but then I leave, as do most people... Or you join them, but if everyone did that then you have a server full of one team only. Either way, it clears the server, kills it.

This problem has not always existed on XE, not to this extent anyway. Players should not be forced to choose one team to spawn as, or get raped if they don't. That is unsportsmanly, just like rocket glitching, why is that banned again ? is it because noboady want's to play in a server full of rocket glitchers ? I hope you see the point I am making, even if you don't agree with it.

Offline KrystianOO

• XE Head Admin
  • Xtremely Elite
  • Rated: +418
« Reply #5 on: Jul. 30, '16, 06:48:57 AM »
i do understand the point you're trying to make and while i do agree with it in some % i don't think anybody is going to agree with it :<

Offline Charley

• Xtremely Elite
  • Rated: +21
« Reply #6 on: Jul. 30, '16, 10:05:20 AM »
+1

Maintaining balanced gameplay on a server like XE is a delicate task, and one that ought to be left in the main for players to regulate themselves. However, there are small interventions that can and should be made by the script / game setup to prevent against overbalancing in any one direction. One example is the spread of cars in the server, another is the spread of spawnpoints.

What I see when I play VC:MP (I know it's not frequently, but I think my point is still valid), and what I hear from others, is that the system of players regulating gameplay balance has failed. The problem has been exacerbated by instant spawning, team spawning, and being able to choose your own personal spawnpoints. This is not necessarily a huge problem for experienced players - but for new players it can often make the game inaccessible. It goes without saying that new players are the group that ought to be catered for the most.

One method of re-balancing the gameplay would be to enforce stricter spawning rules. This could either take the form of reducing the speed and frequency the players are able to teleport, or it could be by putting percentage-based caps on the sizes of teams. A simple algorithm could enforce a rule such as once one team has more than five players, no more players can join that team unless it constitutes less than 30% of all players on the server. (That would of course need tweaking, it's just an example.)
[VU]Charley

Offline ɹǝɯɐɹʞ

• Board Flamer
  • Bored Flamer
    • google.com
« Reply #7 on: Jul. 31, '16, 02:52:35 PM »
i do understand the point you're trying to make and while i do agree with it in some % i don't think anybody is going to agree with it :<

I hear you. It's funny because to some small % I don't agree with my own points, I quite enjoyed the large battle in the north point mall the other day, but in that instance players did start to band together in a team to counter the "russians" team, like honor was talking about. But still, the server was quite busy, I left and came back about an hour later and it was almost deserted, the server was also very empty last night, I don't know if it's due to any of the points I have made, or just the regestration and spawnwep window bug. The admins have been doing a good job of telling players about the setconfig fix, but maybe it would be worth displaying it under the /help or /cmds text until the problem is resolved.

+1

Nice to hear from you Charley, I hope you are doing well.
I think your suggestion of 30% for capping would be less intrusive than my proposal, and so probably more acceptable. I also share your views on the aspect of spawning in relation to this, to some degree. While I don't have a problem with the current teleport delay time, I do think that being able to respawn in the exact location in which you just got killed, as it stands, is too immediate. When I am fighting outnumbered, it really sucks to actually get a kill in, then get a knockdown on the next player, only to be shot in the back by the player I just killed 3-5 seconds ago. Whilst I do consider myself to be an experienced player, I know that I am by no means a "pro" and I'm quite rusty at the moment. However, I do enjoy a challenge, and frequently get one, though if I am to be outnumbered, there should be a fighting chance, both for me, and moreover, for new players, as you said. I just don't want this server to get "repa" to death after all the hard work people put in. Thank you for your input.

Karan™

« Reply #8 on: Jul. 31, '16, 03:10:30 PM »
Nobody would  like getting raped when most of the WK and their fans join medic skin in a huge number and target a few, there should be a limit like "too many people are spawned in this skin currently, please balance the other teams" just saying, tho its not a TDM so something similar to it can be applied, on the other hand it's a DM server so many will disagree..  :-X

Offline Phenomz.

• Rated: +3
« Reply #9 on: Jul. 31, '16, 04:24:54 PM »

This is a bad idea for some reasons; basically your idea means putting a limit or condition to the players, which probably will not like the community itself and the new generation of players who have appeared in these times.

Each existing player has the freedom to choose which skin to use and with which players band together to do against the enemy, I see no reason to apply percentages and even less a system which forces people to use something that does not want or join the enemy itself.

In my opinion, this is one of the reasins why XE lost popularity the last time.

I disagree.

In fact, that was one of the reasons why the XE got more popularity at that time. People were and is free to form an "alliance" to defeat a common enemy, creating interest and enthusiasm to enter the server.

Offline Deemu

• XE Administrator
  • Xtremely Elite
    • The Zetz
  • Clan: TZ
  • Rated: +710
« Reply #10 on: Aug. 01, '16, 04:34:27 AM »
+1

Offline aXXo

• Rated: 0
« Reply #11 on: Aug. 01, '16, 09:26:18 PM »
In my opinion the problem of huge teams has a lot to do with friendly fire(FF). If FF was disabled, 1v5 would be much more interesting as the player could go all out CQB giving the 5 guys a lot to think about.

In 0.3z, shotguns used to knock team mates down, so players were reluctant to blast Spaz in a crowded area. In 0.4, the most annoying thing being outnumbered is being Spazzed from 8 directions.

Though, I admit that we should not entirely disable FF since this is a TDM game mode. However, I can suggest an interesting algorithm to grant FF "bonus" as a reward to players who are on a spree.

Offline Charley

• Xtremely Elite
  • Rated: +21
« Reply #12 on: Aug. 01, '16, 09:48:44 PM »
In my opinion the problem of huge teams has a lot to do with friendly fire(FF). If FF was disabled, 1v5 would be much more interesting as the player could go all out CQB giving the 5 guys a lot to think about.

In 0.3z, shotguns used to knock team mates down, so players were reluctant to blast Spaz in a crowded area. In 0.4, the most annoying thing being outnumbered is being Spazzed from 8 directions.

Though, I admit that we should not entirely disable FF since this is a TDM game mode. However, I can suggest an interesting algorithm to grant FF "bonus" as a reward to players who are on a spree.

Interesting thought! Sadly I think turning FF on would drive players away. A lot of players wouldn't have the patience for it, and a lot of players wouldn't give a fuck if they were killing their team mates with explosives etc. (Many players probably wouldn't even realise they were doing it  ;D).

It's definitely an interesting train of thought though, and some permutation playing with FF could be a good addition. Perhaps it would be worth considering a FF system whereby if you harm a team mate your health goes down, not theirs.

What do you mean by FF bonus as a reward to players on a spree? What sort of algorithm?

But whilst such a system would be interesting, I'm not sure it would have that much affect on team size / balance.

P.S. Nice to hear from you too Kramer! Good to see you still hang around these old haunts
« Last Edit: Aug. 01, '16, 09:50:24 PM by Charley »
[VU]Charley

Offline Niko

• XE Lover
  • Que onda perro.
    • MK | Miami Killers.
  • Clan: =MK=
  • Rated: +110
« Reply #13 on: Aug. 02, '16, 03:59:57 AM »
It's a great idea, but they won't be useful at all due to the clan teams or with friends. Same case if you play with your trc mates for example.

Offline aXXo

• Rated: 0
« Reply #14 on: Aug. 03, '16, 05:51:07 PM »
What do you mean by FF bonus as a reward to players on a spree? What sort of algorithm?
I woke up today and realized it is a shitty idea.  :-\

The idea was that each team would have a separate elevated team with a darker shade of color. So, if anyone from the medic team reaches a spree, his color changes to dark grey.
The dark grey players wont take any damage from other dark grey players. However, if some noob vassal tries to ass lick them and blasts M60 without looking, there will be tears.